God's always "hooking us," pulling us back: back to the Word, back to the Meal, back to the Font...back to the community.

This blog is for the purpose of sharing around each Sunday's Bible readings & sermon at Shepherd of the Valley Lutheran Church.

Get Sunday's readings here. We follow the Narrative Lectionary.
(In the summer, we return to the Revised Common Lectionary' epistle or Second Reading here.)

So, what's been hooking you?

So, what's been hooking you?


Here you can...

Sunday, August 5, 2012

August 5 -- Tenth Sunday of the Green Season


Grace to you and peace from our Lord and Savior, the Bread of Life, Jesus Christ.  Amen. 

Well, I was trying to fall asleep last night…so I watched a documentary.  The problem is, I love documentaries.  This one was done by PBS, whose documentaries are always excellent, and it was called “This Emotional Life”, a three-part serious on the psychology and sociology of human emotions. 

And in it I was reminded once again of that famous study they once conducted on chimps – poor chimps – they took baby chimps away from their biological mothers, and installed two “fake mothers” in their habitats – one made out of metal wire, who had food, and the other made out of fluffy warm fur, who had no food.  Which “fake mother” do you think the baby chimps picked? 

Every time those little babies opted for the comfort and warmth of the fluffy fake mother figure, which the scientists concluded suggests that emotional nourishment might just be a higher priority than even physical nourishment.    

It reminds me also of one of these backstories I’ve heard while watching the Olympics.  (Heather and I have just loved watching the Olympics this year.)  And I’m not sure if you heard the backstory on swimmer Missy Franklin:  Apparently she opted out of moving away to be coached and trained at some highly advanced facility with the greatest coach in the universe (some “wire structure with milk”), and said she’d rather stay close to her friends and family, have a normal high school experience, and be on the high school swim team.  And I heard her say in that interview, “You know, I probably wouldn’t be where I am today if I had left because I just wouldn’t have been happy, and all that affects my performance.”

The people in our Gospel text today are tailing Jesus again.  He just fed them, all 5000 of them, but they’re back.  (Reminds me of my kids, “I just fed you, but you’re back!”)  Of course they’re back: one miraculous meal doesn’t cut it.  They’re looking for daily bread.  “Give us this day our daily bread.”  Jesus, we need to keep eating and one amazing meal, just doesn’t cut it.  We too are looking for daily bread.  Lord, give us this bread always.

And, in the Gospel of John, when the people come clamoring for a sign, when they have rejected the fake, metal structures of this world, things that might provide a little immediate sustenance or pleasure, but no long-term, emotional or spiritual nourishment, when the people come clamoring, Jesus gives them…HIMSELF.

I am the bread of life.  Come and believe in me,” he says…

Jesus is the Bread of Life.  So that even friends and family to provide everything we need, comes up short.  Let’s remember, not everyone has friends and family.  There are orphans in this world of all sorts, solitary types, with no one to write in as their emergency contact.  Not everyone is as lucky as Missy Franklin or you, perhaps, nurtured and nourished by a loving home.  So that illustration falls short.

For this Gospel, this Jesus, this Bread of Life is for everyone, not just those who can relate to a loving home and a big loving and supportive family!  Christ gives the true and greatest nourishment, relieving all hunger and quenching all thirst.

So, I don’t know about you, but I hunger and thirst for peace in this world, for an end to violence, for our children to stop pretending to shoot one another, for our soldiers to come home from war, for our homes to be safe and warm, free of abuse and domestic fighting. 
That’s just one example of what I hunger for…and Jesus says, “I am the Bread of Life.”  In other words Jesus offers himself, when I come clamoring and hungry.  “Look to me,” Jesus says, “follow me, eat me – my body my blood – and peace will come – maybe not in the way you first want, but rather it starts from within—that peace you desire—and it sends you out.  I am the bread of life,” Jesus says.

For what do you hunger this day?  I’m anxious and restless about a lot of things, so am I able to hear Christ’s gentle words?  “I am the bread of life, given for you, even and especially now.”

Today we also get Part 2 of David and Bathsheba…[retell the story] 

“How could someone do such a thing!” David says in self-righteous judgment.  Do you ever catch yourself sounding like David here?  “How could someone do such a thing!” we can say in self-righteous judgment.  I probably sound like David in this great story, every time I watch the news.  “But I’m talking about you,” Nathan responds. “But I’m talking about you,” the prophet responds.  And then he realizes it.  Can we too realize it? – the trash on the ground, the trash in the air and in the water, the violence all around, the recklessness and selfishness and entitlement and fear of our nation and our world and our own psyches?   It’s on us, just like David, it’s on us as a human family – it’s the world, the culture we’ve created, with trash and violence, it’s a reflection of our own broken, sinful and violent natures.  We are the ones, like David.  You are the one, like David.  The prophet just holds up the mirror.

And that’s a hard word to hear.  “I don’t like this prophet!  Telling me that I’m responsible for this mess!”  That’s why we always kill the prophets, or at least dismiss, the prophets as “out-of-touch” or “unrealistic”.  Crazy old man, Nathan!

And here’s where the great and fallen King David is so instructive, such a gift to us on our journeys:  David manages in all his pride and recklessness, from his seat of power and privilege, David manages to open his ears to the prophet’s words, to see the mirror the prophet holds up, and then he melts, and then he repents. 

Not only is David’s sin one of the greatest in the Bible, so is his admission, confession, and his repentance: “I have sinned against the Lord,” he says, bowing his head in humility and shame.  May we too have that kind of honesty before God.

And here’s what happens next (for some reason it’s left out of our assigned reading for today): Nathan’s response to David. “Now the Lord has put away your sin.  You shall not die.”

David was able to receive both the God’s words of conviction and then God’s words of forgiveness. 

There is Christ.  There is daily bread.  Forgiveness.

No other bread will do – not the bread of money, not the bread of success, not the bread of arms and security, not even the bread of family and friends.  They all come up short… 

Eat of this bread of forgiveness that is Christ.  Eat of this bread of truth that is Christ.  Eat of this bread of peace that is Christ.  Eat of this bread of life that is Christ.  AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment