God's always "hooking us," pulling us back: back to the Word, back to the Meal, back to the Font...back to the community.

This blog is for the purpose of sharing around each Sunday's Bible readings & sermon at Shepherd of the Valley Lutheran Church.

Get Sunday's readings here. We follow the Narrative Lectionary.
(In the summer, we return to the Revised Common Lectionary' epistle or Second Reading here.)

So, what's been hooking you?

So, what's been hooking you?


Here you can...

Sunday, September 4, 2016

September 4 -- Sixteenth After Pentecost



“Gracious God, you appeal on the basis of love.  Restore us again to you this day.  AMEN.”

There was a time when I felt like I was on top of the world: high school.  I was king.  Not of the world, not of my high school, but of my neighborhood, and of my little brothers, and all those who looked up to me.  


We grew up in Houston with a great neighborhood pool right down the street.  And as far back as I can remember, we’d put our swim suits in late May, and we wouldn’t take them off until the end of August…right about now...when swim season was over and school was starting.  My very first job ever was at Maplewood Pool, as the membership card taker at the gate.  I’d take your card and file it in the little box, for $4.50/hr.   Every morning we had swim practice in May, June and July, and as I got older (7th-8th grade), I had this dream of one day being the coach of our 350-kid swim team from ages 6 and under...all the way up to 16.  Someday.  I took the classes and became a lifeguard there too, but I still had that dream.  And I was in 10th grade when that day actually came, and I was approached by the 2 coaches and asked if I’d be the jr. assistant coach.  The next summer I became the full assistant coach.  And then, when I was a senior in high school, I became the head coach of Maplewood Swim team!  I was on top of the world, one of my best friends growing up was my assistant and we had a great relationship and friendship.  We were royalty in this world, that we had been members of, given all those many summers, paid our dues, served in the ranks.  And now it was ours: we called the shots, we set the line-ups, we made the work-outs, we handed out the trophies...we were at the top of our game.  Good to be king.

We had a key to the facility too.  And one night we decided to let ourselves into the pool after hours, with a few of our friends (and my little brother Tim) and some girls we liked, and have a little party...I mean why not?  It was pretty much all ours, anyways.

We were having a great time (beer and cigars, music and swimming), until a certain car pulled up.  It was some other kids, members of the real pool manager’s church, who he had asked to help him keep an eye on things at night.  They were young too and in great shape, and actually chased us down.  Caught one of my brother’s little friends, and so a few of us came back from the darkness we had run into to get away.  And to make a long story short, we were busted.

The next Tuesday (pool’s closed on Monday) we were to have meeting with Coach -- the real coach, Coach Johnson.  Coach was the manager, the real boss, of the pool; he was also a high school football coach during the school year.  Great, big, cantankerous old Texan who was intimidating when he was in a good mood.  He’d seen some things in his time, and no high school hot shots were anything new to him.  

Those light plastic pool chairs never seemed so heavy as Coach led me and my accomplices over to the far corner of the property that hot afternoon.  We sat down in in a small circle...and we pretty much thought that was it for us.  Breaking into the complex, partying, running off into the darkness, drinking.  He’s gonna fire us -- destroy our college application process, get us grounded by our parents, and cut us off forever from this land and status that we so greatly loved and enjoyed -- all of it!  Here it comes.  

After some silence, to let us stew in our fear, Coach simply says: “Thing is, boys, I love you like you were my own sons.  And if anything ever happened to you, ‘cause  you’re doing something stupid, I don’t know what I’d do.”  And if that wasn’t enough to never forget, he had a tear in his eye.  Talk about about appealing on the basis of love.  

This is my grace story.  (All of us should have at least one grace story.)

All was forgiven, with our promise to never pull a stunt like that again.  He didn’t even tell our parents, and mine don’t listen to my sermon podcast all that that often, so I think I’m still good...

“Thing is, boys, I love you like you were my own sons.”

Friends in Christ, this is a text -- a whole book of the bible -- about status restoration.  There are three human characters in this story:  The Apostle Paul is writing to Philemon, a wealthy Christian landlord and slave owner; and he’s writing in regard to Onesimus, Philemon’s run-away slave.  Paul’s met him in prison and is appealing to Philemon “on the basis of love” to restore him, and not just to take him back as a slave again, but to actually elevate him and receive him back as a brother.  Pretty radical request.

My story is really about my status being humbled -- from a cocky kid to a beloved son.  This is a text about being lifted up -- from a slave to a beloved brother.  But either way, these are restorations (and elevations) of status...“on the basis of love”.  Today, we are invited to reflect on the restoration and elevation (or deepening) of status “on the basis of love” -- that we have with and for one another, and that God has for us... 
Maybe someone has wronged you, taken advantage of you, like I wronged and took advantage of the trust Coach had put in me...We’re invited to consider a restoration and elevation of status.  I wasn’t just slapped back into place or thrown out -- my status was restored and even elevated.  Are there places in your life, where those around you might be blessed by your forgiveness and love?

And, even more: the restoration and elevation of status that we’ve all received from God.  It all starts and ends with that.  We are called beloved by God, after everything we’ve done.  God says to us, like Coach said to me, “Thing is, I love you, like you’re my own kid.”  A tear on God’s cheek.  God appeals to us on the basis of love.  

Paul’s letter to Philemon is simply an outgrowth of that love, and restorative peace and hope of God.  Coach Johnson’s words to me and Josh were -- to me, still today -- simply an outgrowth of that love and the restorative peace and hope of God.

Friends in Christ -- I hope you know this...hear it again! -- we have a God who forgives, who brings us back -- whether from a slave status or an arrogant, entitled status -- we have a God who restores us...by naming us a beloved member of the family:  “I love you.  You are mine.”

So go now.  And do likewise.  Go now, in peace, and love one another.  AMEN.



Prayers for Labor Day

Commerce and labor

Almighty God, your Son Jesus Christ dignified our labor by sharing our toil. Guide us with your justice in the workplace, so that we may never value things above people, or surrender honor to love of gain or lust for power. Prosper all efforts to put an end to work that brings no joy, and teach us how to govern the ways of business to the harm of none and for the sake of the common good...

The unemployed

God of justice, we remember before you those who suffer want and anxiety from lack of work. Guide the people of this land so to use our wealth and resources that all people may find suitable and fulfilling employment and receive just payment for their labor...

The human family

O God, you made us in your own image and redeemed us through Jesus your Son. Look with compassion on the whole human family; take away the arrogance and hatred that infect our hearts; break down the walls that separate us; unite us in bonds of love; and, through our struggle and confusion, work to accomplish your purposes on earth; so that, in your good time, every people and nation may serve you in harmony around your heavenly throne; through Jesus Christ, our Savior and Lord.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment